Ayden K. Morgen shares behind the scenes of law enforcement.
By day, I write contemporary romance about police officers and the women who love them. By night, I’m a 911 Dispatch Supervisor for my county. As a supervisor, my job is to lead a team of dispatchers as they watch over our deputies, fire fighters, EMS personnel, and the general public.
9-1-1 Dispatching is stressful and chaotic, and we never know what we’re going to deal with on any given day. When the phone rings, we’re prepared for anything. And we’ve dealt with everything. From shootings and stabbings to residential fires to tornado …we’ve seen (and heard) it all!
But the job is incredibly rewarding too. I get to work with some of the smartest, most dedicated people around. I have a lot of respect for our law enforcement officers and the impossible job they do.
In Devour Me, ATF agent Roman Gregory finds himself hiding out with his adult daughter’s best friend after he’s forced to kill a gang member to protect an innocent child. He’s a little rough and wild, and is very protective. He takes his job seriously, and understands the dangers that come with working with gangs and cartels.
Like Roman, a lot of police officers tend to be alpha males. They’re protective and bossy, and can be very demanding. They can also be loud and outspoken.
But they’re also goofballs and are a never-ending source of hilarity. They deal with more crap than anyone, and they do it because they care.
Here are a few other things that might surprise you about Police Officers and what goes on behind the scenes:
- The rivalry between police officers and firefighters is longstanding, but it’s all in good fun.
- Law enforcement agencies get along a lot better than television would have you believe. They work together frequently and tend to have strong bonds.
- They may be courageous, but even police officers balk at responding to creepy calls (like strange noises in a cemetery late at night). If ghosts are involved, they aren’t going willingly!
- Donuts really are the way to a police officer’s heart. They can spot donuts from a mile away.
- Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of police officers quite like a pissed off dispatcher. The last place they want to be is on the shit-list…especially if they’re nearing the end of their shift.
- Most of what you see on television is wrong. The Miranda Warning is given prior to questioning, not upon arrest. Most Crime Scene Investigators aren’t officers. Fingerprints are hard to find. There’s a lot of paperwork involved…and a lot of driving around.
- People will call 911 for anything. If they’re stuck in traffic, if they need a phone number, if their kids won’t go to bed…the list is endless.
- Police Officers (and First Responders in general) are incredibly supportive of one another. They truly are a family, and are there in a heartbeat when a member of the family needs a hand.
- Just like in Emergency Rooms, there are “frequent fliers”. You become familiar with these individuals quickly, and dealing with them every single day can be exhausting! No one wants to respond to calls at “that” address.
- Saying the “Q word” (quiet) is just asking for the gates of hell to open and the hordes of hell to fall upon you. Whether you’re in law enforcement, dispatch, or EMS, that word never brings anything good.
Ayden is the Amazon Bestselling author of the Ragnarök Prophesies series. She lives in the heart of Arkansas with her childhood sweetheart/husband of fifteen years, and their furry minions. When not writing, she spends her time hiking, reading, volunteering, causing mischief, and building a Spork army.
Ayden graduated summa cum laude with her Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice and Forensic Psychology in 2009 before going on to complete her graduate degree in CJ and Law. She currently puts her education to use in the CJ and Social Services field.
About the Book
Devour Me Her Best Friend’s Father #1 by Ayden K. Morgen
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Don’t get caught.
Never fall in love.
And steer clear of his daughter’s friends.
The rules were easy enough for Roman Gregory…until Mila Lawson set out to break every single one of them.
When the twenty-two year old lands on the ATF agent’s doorstep after a nasty breakup, he knows all too well that she’s off-limits. At thirty-eight, he’s almost twice her age, she’s hurting, and the blonde bombshell is his daughter’s best friend.
Mila knows all about wanting what she can’t have. For four years, she’s lusted after Talia McPherson’s scary hot, terminally single father from afar. After walking away from her cheating ex and what she thought was her happily-ever-after, the last thing on her mind is jumping into a new relationship.
Until she find herself living with Roman in Santa Cruz…
Now all she can think about is making all those dirty fantasies come to life. With nothing left to lose, she makes him an offer he can’t refuse: Two weeks of no-holds-barred sex. No strings. No commitments. No messy emotions.
Roman has no business agreeing to her insane proposition. He can’t have her. He shouldn’t even want her. But he’s going to take her anyway… and he has no intentions of stopping until she’s his completely.
If there’s one thing Roman knows for a fact, it’s that he doesn’t lose. Ever.
Devour Me is the first of three steamy novellas featuring Mila and Roman.
Add to your Goodreads shelf.
Purchase on Amazon.